ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY | TERMS OF SERVICE
This Acceptable Use Policy document, including the following list of Prohibited Activities, is an integral part of your Hosting Agreement with Octagon Technologies (“Octagon”). If you engage in any of the activities prohibited by this AUP document, Octagon may suspend or terminate your account.
Octagon Technologies’ Acceptable Use Policy (the “Policy”) for Octagon’s Services is designed to help protect Octagon, Octagon’s customers and the Internet community in general from irresponsible or, in some cases, illegal activities. The Policy is a non-exclusive list of the actions prohibited by Octagon. Octagon Technologies reserves the right to modify the Policy at any time, effective upon posting at http://www.octagonhosting.com/aup.
Prohibited Uses of Octagon Technologies Systems and Services
1. Transmission, distribution or storage of any material in violation of any applicable law or regulation is prohibited. This includes, without limitation, material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property right used without proper authorization, and material that is obscene, defamatory, constitutes an illegal threat, or violates export control laws. Pornography is explicitly prohibited.
2. Sending Unsolicited Bulk Email (“UBE”, “spam”). The sending of any form of Unsolicited Bulk Email through Octagon Technologies’ servers is prohibited. Likewise, the sending of UBE from another service provider advertising a web site, email address or utilizing any resource hosted on Octagon’s servers, is prohibited. Octagon Technologies accounts or services may not be used to solicit customers from, or collect replies to, messages sent from another Internet Service Provider where those messages violate this Policy or that of the other provider.
3. Running Unconfirmed Mailing Lists. Subscribing email addresses to any mailing list without the express and verifiable permission of the email address owner is prohibited. All mailing lists run by Octagon Technologies customers must be Closed-loop (“Confirmed Opt-in”). The subscription confirmation message received from each address owner must be kept on file for the duration of the existence of the mailing list. Purchasing lists of email addresses from 3rd parties for mailing to from any Octagon-hosted domain, or referencing any Octagon account, is prohibited.
4. Advertising, transmitting, or otherwise making available any software, program, product, or service that is designed to violate this AUP or the AUP of any other Internet Service Provider, which includes, but is not limited to, the facilitation of the means to send Unsolicited Bulk Email, initiation of pinging, flooding, mail-bombing, denial of service attacks.
5. It is a violation for anyone who, including but not limited to, employs posts or programs which consume excessive CPU time or storage space, permits the use of mail services, mail forwarding capabilities, POP accounts, anonymous proxies, proxies of any kind, auto responders other than for their own account. Resale of CGI scripts installed on our servers is prohibited.
Forging of any TCP-IP packet header or any part of the header information in an email or a newsgroup posting is prohibited.
5. Operating an account on behalf of, or in connection with, or reselling any service to, persons or firms listed in the Spamhaus Register of Known Spam Operations (ROKSO) database at www.spamhaus.org/rokso.
6. Unauthorized attempts by a user to gain access to any account or computer resource not belonging to that user (e.g., “cracking”).
7. Obtaining or attempting to obtain service by any means or device with intent to avoid payment.
8. Unauthorized access, alteration, destruction, or any attempt thereof, of any information of any Octagon Technologies customers or end-users by any means or device.
9. Knowingly engage in any activities designed to harass, or that will cause a denial-of-service (e.g., synchronized number sequence attacks) to any other user whether on the Octagon Technologies network or on another provider’s network.
10. Using Octagon’s Services to interfere with the use of the Octagon Technologies network by other customers or authorized users.
Octagon Technologies further reserves the right to suspend or terminate service to any websites affiliated with known or suspected terrorist organizations at our discretion. We will be the sole arbiters as to what constitutes a violation of this provision.
Customer Responsibility for Customer’s Users
Each Octagon Technologies customer is responsible for the activities of its users and, by accepting service from Octagon Technologies, is agreeing to ensure that its customers/representatives or end-users abide by this Policy. Complaints about customers/representatives or end-users of an Octagon customer will be forwarded to the Octagon customer’s postmaster for action. If violations of the Octagon Technologies Acceptable Use Policy occur, Octagon reserves the right to terminate services with or take action to stop the offending customer from violating Octagon’s AUP as Octagon deems appropriate, without notice.
Last Modified: June 6, 2014